Skip to main content
Blog banner
Everything you need to know about CAS

If you are planning to study abroad in the UK, you might have heard of the term CAS. It is one of the most important documents during your application to study at a UK university. 


To help you successfully embark on your journey to the UK and realise your full potential, in this blog post, we put together 7 facts about CAS that you must know. 


What is a CAS?

CAS, Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, is a reference number that is issued to international students who have been admitted to a UK university.  


Receiving a CAS, meaning you’ve been offered a place to study with a UK university, is of great importance because you must enter your CAS when applying for a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK. 


Who issues a CAS?

The university you have received an unconditional offer from issues a CAS to you.  


Read our blogpost: Conditional and Unconditional Offers: What Are They and What You Need to Know


What is a CAS for?

The CAS, your reference number, is used for applying for a student visa in the UK. A UKVI (UK Visa and Immigration) caseworker would be able to electronically access your details after you enter your CAS on the visa application.  


As important as the CAS is, it is not a T4 visa for studying in the UK, but essential information to be included in your student visa application. 


When should I apply for a CAS?

It is expected that students request a CAS before their courses at any UK university start. Usually, international students are required to apply for their student visas within 6 months of receiving the CAS.  


What is included in a CAS letter?

The CAS letter usually includes both your personal and the university's information, e.g. your planned course of study and any fees associated with it, and most importantly, your CAS number.  


After you receive your CAS letter, first carefully read through it to avoid making mistakes when applying for your T4 visa. 


Who needs a CAS?

A CAS is essential for your T4 visa application if you are 

  • an international student that wants to study in the UK 
  • an EU citizen that wasn’t living in the UK before 31 December 2020 
  • planning to study in the UK for more than 6 months 

Check if you need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK and welcome to contact us !


When is a CAS issued?

After you accept the offer to study with a UK university, your CAS will be sent to you but not earlier than six months before the start date of your programme.  


Usually, UK schools start releasing CAS in May for programmes starting in September.  


Start Planning for Study in the UK with Intake

Reach out to us and schedule a free appointment if you have any other questions about CAS and a UK student visa application, and we’ll be glad to help you.

Find Your Direction

At Intake, we are all about giving great advice to each individual, to help you find the right path forward to reach your goals. Get in contact today to see where you could go in future!